Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: FYI, from the joelist: free Jensen Imperial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    FYI, from the joelist: free Jensen Imperial

    Could make for a nice Altec loaded sub or mono 604 system........

    GM
    ============
    Hey Joes,

    I'm downsizing and need to get rid of this large corner horn speaker
    Cabinet. It was made for the Jensen Imperial system of drivers, LL15
    woof, RP201 mid horn, and maybe an EV T35 tweeter, judging from the
    tweeter slot.

    Pictures can be seen here:

    Jensen Imperial Corner Cab - a set on Flickr

    The Cabinet measures 44"H x 43W" at the widest part, horn sides are
    25", it is 26" deep. The bass horn is rear loaded, double folded, and
    comes out both side grill panels, as well as the top where the mid/
    high drivers go. It is for a 15" woofer.

    I hate to throw this away as it is very well built, homebrew, of 3/4"
    high grade plywood, from back in the '50s when men were men and built
    their own audio gear, just like us. It's just what YOU need for that
    corner horn speaker in your garage. The XYL will never know it's
    there, you can hook it up to a 2 watt triode amp and listen in bliss
    while you work the hours away on your favorite car project, or
    whatever. With an altec woof, a little sawing so you can fit an an
    811B horn, and you could have a terrific 2 way. The horn is mounted
    on a 3" base. If you are into mono as I am, with a big collection of
    78's and mono lps, this would be just the speaker to get the most out
    of your collection. Mono Mia!

    I will keep this until the week of April 27, then I have to get rid
    of it, so sez m'lady, and I agree. SOOOOO, if you want it, you have
    to come and get it. I am in Massachusetts, halfway between Boston and
    Providence, right off of Route 495. I will not ship the horn. It is
    FREE for the coming and taking away. After April 29 the bad boyz are
    gonna come and take it away in the trash truck if it's still here.

    Best to all you Joes,
    Uncle Henry
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Kercher's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2006
    Posts
    41
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: FYI, from the joelist: free Jensen Imperial

    Wow, I thought the joelist died out years ago. Where is the new board?
    Dan

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: FYI, from the joelist: free Jensen Imperial

    That's not an Imperial. It's another, simpler corner horn that Jensen published in the early/mid fifties for DIY construction and was called the Superhorn or something like that; I can't remember right now exactly what they called it. It requires the corner of the room to really work. It was one of several variants of the same basic idea of a fairly simple single fold path using the walls coming out of the room corner for bass extension.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: FYI, from the joelist: free Jensen Imperial

    Well, I guess it's not that either. I found my clipping of the Bass Ultraflex enclosure. Both 12" and 15" versions of it were described by Daniel Plach and Philip Williams in the December 1954 issue of Radio and Television News. The Ultraflex is a little different and looks to me like a simpler and better design. In fact the more I look at this "Imperial" the less sense it makes to me with that faux back chamber/reflector behind the woofer. It looks like both designs slot load the back wave after a fashion and then port that into an expanding "horn." Both versions of the Imperial, the built-in and the free-standing, have an expanding horn path (hyperbolic, I think) that unloads either at the top or the bottom of the cabinet.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: FYI, from the joelist: free Jensen Imperial

    Drawings and build articles for both versions of the Imperial, the Bass Ultraflex and the Onken can be found here:

    Jensen Imperial

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: FYI, from the joelist: free Jensen Imperial

    Cool! Thanks!

    Anyway, I copy/pasted the email without even reading it, but after looking at the pics it appears to be a well thought out Imperial adaptation of the standard corner horn 'accordian' folding scheme, though of course with no dimensional details I can only speculate as to how closely it might perform in a corner Vs a bone fide Imperial corner horn. Still, its gross bulk implies ~comparable low end performance, so if I lived nearby I would have already picked it up if nobody beat me to it rather than posting it.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: FYI, from the joelist: free Jensen Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by Kercher View Post
    Wow, I thought the joelist died out years ago. Where is the new board?
    Dan
    Sound Info Page

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.